Monday, November 09, 2009

Nageb's Story

Another write up, this time by Nageb. Again, I hope he won't mind this write up appeared in this blog.

 Recollection of Memories Inside Q-4-G
Ahmad Khalis Nazib @ Nageb 05, Headboy
Firstly I’d thank Abang Ise for giving me this brilliant opportunity to write.  I hope that this brief recollection of my experiences inside the Q-4-G project makes its way through to the reports.
The project was started in the late 2003, right after the Piala Hamdan Tahir tournament.  I was in form 3 at that particular time.  The pre- Q-4-G period was indeed a little mess from my perspective.  We obviously had the passion to win, but getting hold of the cup seemed a fairy tale considering the scattered training schedule we had and too many old boys offering contradicting advices.  In fact in 2002 the college team never even made it to the nationals.  But I have to acknowledge that there were focused and committed parties that tried to help out.
When Q-4-G came with the vision of 5 times winning the cup consequently, I did not buy into it immediately.  How can we skyrocket from not even getting into the nationals, to being a champion? But vision, commitment and substance were the key here.  I underestimated the sheer combination of 3 main people inside the project; Mr Liew, Abg Ise, and Kak Ana.  We had an extremely brilliant coach all along whom tactics and experiences were second to none, Abg Ise who managed to reel in some cash for camps and training sessions, and Kak Ana whose motherly attitude came in handy at difficult times.  Q-4-G unified all efforts to reincarnate as champs under one banner.  And this unification brought us glory the first year this project was launched; we became champs in 2004.
Technical wise, I think that’s all I am to mention.  There’s a lot more to what I wrote, but now I am going to touch on the sentimental side of my experience.
Life in college was not always that pleasant.  Personally, I was far away from my parents.  I had this inner desire to always be at the top, or among the top.  Be it academically, sports wise, or character wise.  But being in a sea of the most excellent people in Malaysia, it is easy to be outshined and feel left out.  At times I can feel myself paddling in vain.  But Q-4-G created a sense of belonging.  At times when I felt left out, Q-4-G acted as a support group.  I had my friends inside.  And I had Mr Liew, Abg Ise and Kak Ana giving all those useful advices.  We, inside the team, were always pushed to our limits.  We were forced to score in our exams, otherwise, we were’nt able to make the team.  And we were also required to not misbehave and act diplomatically.  Otherwise we’d just be clenching our teeth in anger being on the sidelines.
I still remember once when we encountered problems in a few science subjects, we were given assistance in the form of tuitions.  And indeed it was a major help considering the fact that we were almost disconnected from the world outside.  And since I was also a prefect, sometimes I felt it hard to hold my friends together while doing my responsibility well.  But I had an idol inside the team.  He was of integrity.  And in college, it’s always easy to tell people to act like this and act like that or question why at times it seems that we have students of no qualities.  It’s not that students do not strive for good character, but again, being detached from the world outside, we do need someone inside as an example, hopefully we can emulate the good qualities.  And Q-4-G gave me that.  An example for me to emulate.
There were a lot of other values in which I learnt from the project.  One of those I really appreciate was the power of commitment and self discipline.  As a kid I initially thought that most of the things in this world are destined or fated as the results show.  We have undergone torturous training sessions.  To me it was a miracle to see our margin points between us and Tsung Wah lessening every time we had friendly matches.  And we began winning.  I never thought that would happen.  But it did.  So I made a conclusion that it was all because of the hard work.  You can always achieve when you work for it.  Thanks to Q-4-G I still cling on to that principle till today.  Apart, I also learnt the art of teamwork and discussions, and how to have fun at times of stress.
To sum it all up, Q-4-G was indeed a masterpiece of its own.  I valued its existence.  Apart from providing me the opportunity to touch the sacred cup, I believe that part of what I hold on to today spawns from the Q-4-G project.  It is of much benefit to students, and I am confident that my teammates would also say the same about this project.  It was a door of opportunity.
Lastly I’d like to thank again, Mr Liew, Abang Ise, Kak Ana, the sponsors of Q-4-G for this fabulous idea and opportunity, and also to my teammates whom made the struggle to excellence more meaningful.
Ahmad Khalis Nazib
Class of 2005

No comments: