Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Captain's Word: Rahmat 2007

I'm writing this purely based on my experience when I was the captain back then.  This is for the sake of the present team. Hopefully, you will find my thoughts to be helpful. thanks and regards.
Different leaders have different styles but they do have things in common which are responsibility and sensitiveness.  From my experience, responsibility is what you feel inside yourself when you are given a trust to be the captain of Cagers and sensitiveness is your natural alertness of your surroundings.
Talking about being responsible, a captain MUST think that he is very important to the team. You can’t expect your fellow teammates to be responsible because they actually think the captain is the one who carries that burden. A captain cannot simply give away his responsibility to his teammates because it is just not right! Therefore, in managing the team, a captain should have plans and strategies in dealing with the problems.  For me, being the captain of Cagers is a lot more important than scoring all A’s in SPM, no kidding.  That was the thing that bothered me the most when I was in form five.  Every single minute I was thinking about the team and the title.  But then again, a captain should readily aware that a team doesn’t complete without a coach.  For Cagers, Our coach is someone who is so special for which you have to take it more than any winning of games.  Since I’m talking about Cagers, Mr Liew is a very particular person but that doesn’t mean he is very difficult to deal with.  We are lucky enough to have someone who cares about everything related to basketball.  This is what I mean with sensitiveness.  I frankly admit that the mighty of Cagers comes from the coach which we’d love to call him by the name ‘Sir’.  What I want to stress out here is if the team really wants to win the title, the players have to follow sir’s instructions.  He has the credit as a winning coach, the history proves it all.  I understand that sometimes we never mean to not follow his instructions but I believe most of the time we forget and take things for granted.  So, as a captain, you MUST always keep reminding the team about the ultimate goal, discipline, current standard of playing and gameplay effectiveness, the weakness, the strength, the family, the studies and everything.  A captain should know how to adjust the difference in seniority to suit with the relationship among the teammates.  To me, Cagers is my extended family and I cherish every moment being with them.
The best advice I can give to you is that you should improve on yourself first before you can do the rest of the jobs.  Just like basketball, you got to learn how to dribble before you can do a layup.  You don’t have to copy what the previous captains have done, instead, have it your way.  I believe every captain has his own version in handling the team.  From my observation, you have not yet tried your best.  There will always be critiques and complaints, but that’s how we improve ourselves.  Try your best, give out everything you have if you really want something so badly.  If you don’t know how, we will always be there for you.  Keep on trying and trying and then only you will find the best model that fits your leadership capability.  Don’t worry, this is the platform for you to learn and show the world who you really are.  2009 PHT CUP will reflect your effort and commitment to your team.  How much you are willing to sacrifice, how much you are willing to cry, how much  you can sustain in hell before you can taste the sweet of glory will all depend on you!
Again, I would like to remind you, LISTEN, UNDERSTAND AND FOLLOW what sir has to say and make sure the whole team do the same thing.  Be inspiring, keep the flame blazing, never give up and ALL THE BEST!
“FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!”

No comments: