Wednesday, June 03, 2009

From Sir Liew - The BOMOH

Dear all,

Where do I begin to tell the stories of MC Cagers’ shocked defeats and preliminary exit in the recent HKSBP PHT basketball tournament? First and foremost, may I bring to your attention and highlight on the three main reasons repeatedly and emphatically mentioned by me earlier. These may possibly shade some lights, explain our failure and at the same time ! After winning the coveted PHT in 2008, I went to see Tuan Pengetua in his office when the school terms resumed in June 2008. Besides thanking him for his constant support and confidence given to me, I also seized the opportunity to inform him that next year i.e. 2009 would be very tough for The Malay College Kuala Kangsar to defend the title. Three reasons were then explained to Tuan Pengetua.

Firstly, as I would be engaged with other personal commitments, as such I would not be able to coach the team full time as what I had been doing since September 2003 till May 2008. I had promised to draw out the training schedules for the Cagers. Towards this end, I had submitted a comprehensive training schedules to Tuan Pengetua only on 30 December 2008 after a lapse of 5 ½ months. By then, I had realised that without my physical presence there, Cagers had not shown any marked improvement in their basketball skills.

Secondly, Cagers in 2009 in general were not well exposed and also lacked of experience in competitive tournaments. In all fairness to the present form 5 Cagers, ONLY 4 OF THEM, they are indeed the ‘victims’ of unavoidable circumstances! Since they were in Form 2 till Form 4, they did not have the opportunity to take part in both the U-14 (Taiping Invitation) and U-16 (Penang Open) basketball tournaments. Neither they had the chance to play outstation friendly matches like their seniors at Manjung, Cameron Highlands, Ipoh, Taiping and Penang. The reason being the focus then was not on them. Equally there was no extra driver in MC to take them out for friendly matches. Admittedly, these two factors have contributed greatly to the disastrous ending for the present Cagers!

Thirdly, I had also clearly made it known to Tuan Pengetua that other SBPs’ basketball teams have engaged states’ coaches and former national players to coach them respectively. I had even specifically singled out SMS Kuching, SDAR, MOZAC and SMSTMFP as Cagers’ main rivals in 2009.

Well, much had been said thus far, and be it may so, I, as a coach shall be fully responsible for failing to lead the team even into the second round of this prestigious tournament. Though being humiliated, believe me, I am a good ‘ fighter’ ! The going may appear to be very tough in wrestling back the coveted trophy from the new champion. Do give me a chance, a year, your moral support and more importantly your generous financial contribution, I will be ever ready and prepared to face the tough-going challenge, rest assured! Come June 2010, please make yourself presence at the basketball court of SMS Pasir Puteh, Kelantan and be ready for your traditional ‘Bung Wak’and then proudly sing your hearts out the anthem of The Malay College Kuala Kangsar!

For your information, training will resume on 15 June 2009 as scheduled, in preparation of HKSBP PHT grand final in June 2010. Time and tide wait for no man and it is practically true and cruel for a 61 years old man! As Saudara Ihsan Ismail, has put it rightly or rather to be exact, painfully, it will be a long, long, long year particular for him from June 2009 to June 2010. Saudara, just be patient! Do take my sincere advice by listening to the song sang by Miley Cyrus.

I am pretty sure that the lyrics of the song will be able to soothe your suffering mind and mend your broken heart. Believe me too, like a phoenix, Cagers will rise from the ashes and fly above the blue sky again!

…….. There’s always going to be another mountain

I’m always going to want to make it move

Always going to be an uphill battle

Sometimes I’m gonna have to lose

Ain’t about how fast I get there

Ain’t about what’s waiting on the other side

IT’S THE CLIMB………….

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believed that the team along with 'tok bomoh' can rise up again to the occasion for next year..all the best

LJ Nurhadi Zainol said...

good luck sir. you can do it. eventough im not a cagers but ur effort i respect. hope to learn more form you.

Taza@TiTans said...

well...i salute u mr liew..
ur effort r amazing..
hope i can get the benefits eventhough i'm not one of cagers.
well.. u know me soon..
good luck!!! ok..

Izuan said...

Mr Liew,

Challenges make the winning sweeter.

We gonna go diabetic next year!

Thanks,
Izuan

Raja Nurul Anis said...

hello, nice entry..welcome to Pasir Puteh in advance...

ex smspp basketballer...