Tuesday, December 29, 2009

A note from Mr. Liew: An Interview By NST Journalist

Mr Liew's note:

"This afternoon I was interviewed through phone by a gentleman from NST asking my involvement of basketball activities in MCKK.  Briefly, I told him that it all started way back in 1974, interestingly at a public phone booth in Kuala Kangsar.... for details please watch out this interesting article in NST later.

Anyway, I would like to highlight a few key points that I had elaborated in the said interview:

  • All Cagers that have been trained by me thus far are well disciplined, committed and obedient.  These qualities have given me the strength to continue in coaching them for the last 30 over years. They not only performed in the game but they also excelled in their studies. I am truly proud of these group of 'budak Koleq'.
  • All along I am harbouring a humble dream i.e. to promote racial integration and enhance national unity through basketball. Towards this end I have found a platform in coaching the Cagers in pursuing this dream.  I have to a certain extent fulfilled this simple dream mainly because the Malay College basketball team has become a crowd favourite particularly in Chinese villages/communities (Liman Kati and Kg Station in Kuala Kangsar, Sg Siput, Berchem, Mengelembu, Jawi, Subang Jaya, Seberang Jaya, Setiawan, Pulau Pangkor, and most recently Kg Raja, Tanah Rata, Ringlet and Cameron Highlands.)
  • With the full cooperation and support rendered to me by The College and its Pengetua, PIBG and its President/Exco, MCOBA and its President/Exco, Old Cagers and Oldboys, all but leave me with no choice to stay put as the coach.
  • In my reply to a question posed by that gentleman how do I feel for being accorded as an honoury member of MCOBA, my answer is "TERHARU" as I have never expected such a distintive honour would be accorded to me. I really appreciate and treasure it very, very much.  Of course, without the strong support and assistance from Quest-for-Glory team namely, Riza Beg'76, Ise'80 & Ana, Cikgu Jimie'91 and so many other good samaritans, I hardly can imagine all these good things could have been happened to me.

No comments: